Electronic savings bonds in Series EE and I are available through purchase in TreasuryDirect, a secure web-based system operated by Public Debt.
Opening a TreasuryDirect account is free, and once it's established, you can:
- Buy, manage and redeem Series EE and I electronic savings bonds
- Convert Series EE and I paper savings bonds to electronic through the SmartExchange feature
- Purchase electronic savings bonds as a gift
- Enroll in a payroll savings plan for purchasing electronic bonds
- Invest in other Treasury securities such as bills, notes, bonds, and TIPS (Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities)
Set up an account in TreasuryDirect
NOTE: If you currently hold paper savings bonds, you can continue to redeem them at MCCU. Bonds, which have not matured, but were lost, stolen, or destroyed, can be reissued in paper or electronic form.