Marshall Community Credit Union is proud to partner with area school districts to operate student-run credit union branches and to expose thousands of students to important money management skills. Student volunteers learn the banking business and valuable work ethics as credit union branch managers, assistant managers, computer operators, bookkeepers and tellers.
Interested 3rd - 5th grade students can apply to work at the school branch. Students operate all functions of the branch, including counting deposits, inputting deposits into the computer, tracking deposits and distributing prizes earned.
The purpose of the CU In School program is to assist young people in the development of personal finance and employability skills. Objectives of the program include:
- Creating and maintaining an educational environment in which young people will have hands-on experience in a financial setting.
- Increase the knowledge of today's youth regarding financial products and services.
- Create a new generation of savers by showing the importance of setting realistic savings goals with age appropriate savings programs.
- Provide a supplement to current math and social skills through experiences learned while working as a volunteer at the Student-Run Credit Union.
- Teach student volunteers lifelong employment skills such as organization, human relations, cash handling, teamwork, etc.
- Introduce the importance of building a relationship with a financial institution.
- Conduct classroom Financial Presentations for grades K-12.
If you are interested in learning more about the CU In School program, or if you wish for your child to participate, please contact our our office at 269.781.9885, or email us at [email protected].
- Gordon Elementary School (grades K-5*)
- Harper Creek Middle School
- Hughes Elementary School (grades K-5*)
- Mar Lee School (grades K-8*)
- Marshall Middle School
- Walters Elementary School (grades K-5*)
- Wattles Park Elementary School (K-4*)
Student workers from Mar Lee School.
As a CU In School Member, You Will Receive:
- MCCU Share Savings Account ($5 minimum balance required)
- CU In School membership card and savings folder (optional)
- Account passbook to track deposit growth (optional)
- Opportunities to apply for CU In School volunteer positions at school branches (beginning in grade 3 for elementary students). Apply CU In School (K-8th grade),here.
- Incentive rewards to encourage smart saving
- An invitation to all MCCU Youth events
- Optional digital banking account access for the ultimate in parental control
- Choice of paper statements or free eStatements
CU In School Membership Application:
To open a CU In School account at any of our participating schools, simply complete an application! The following will be required when filling out the online applicatoin;
- Copy of parent/guardian's Driver's License
- Copy of student's Social Security Card (or official tax document with SSN)